A hardy leguminous under shrub attaining the height of about 3 meter with compressed pods. The plant bears small spikes of lilac-colored flowers that bear bean-like pods, which contain 3 or four seeds. The root descends about 1 m (3 ft) underground, sending out an extensive network of rhizomes, which are grown for three to five years before they are harvested. The roots and rhizomes are cleaned, pulped, then boiled and the licorice is then concentrated by evaporation
Antiarthritic and Anti-inflammatory; analgesic in Arthritis; anti-viral, anti-corticogenic; demulcent; expectorant antibacterial, spasmolytic; memory stimulant (being MAO inhibitor); tonic, cooling, demulscent, expectorant, diuretic, emmanogogue, laxative.
Actions and uses in ayurveda
Kasa, swarbheda, ksaya, vrana, vatarakta
A highly valued herb in India, used in formulation for weakness, anorexia, respiratory troubles; dizziness and palpitation & in bleeding hemorrhoids. Tonic, Aphrodisiac light laxative, demulcent, useful in inflammatory irritant, affection of genito urinary diseases, cough, sore throat, dysuria, analgesic in arthritis. Aphthous stomatitis, peptic ulcer, anti-stress, calms down day- long stress
Roots contain glycyrrhizin, asparagin, sugar, starch, acid resin, gum, mucilage, phosphoric, sulfuric & malic acids. Bark contains a small quantity of tannins
Properties and action
Guna: guru, snigdh
Karma: vatapittaja-jiit, balya, raktprasadana, varnya, vrsya, caksuya.
Preparations: powder, paste, and decoction
Therapeutic classification index
- Digestive system: it is useful in demulscent in inflammtion affection or irritable conditions of bowels, flatulence, belching, acidity
- Ear nose throat: it is useful in demulscent in inflammtion affection or irritable conditions of the bronchial tubes. It is used in coughs, hoarseness, sore throat and asthma
- Genito- urinary system: : it is useful in demulscent in inflammtion affection or irritable conditions of genito urinary passage, dysuria, burning micturition.
- Immunity system: it is used as a general tonic in debility. It is used as a rejuvenator
Dose: dried herb: 5-10 gms
Capsule Mulethi contains pure and concentrated Mulethi
Dosage: one capsule twice a day.
Package 60 capsules
- Prof P.V Sharma, Dravya Guna Vigyana, Vol II, pg 253-256
- Dr.KM Nadkarni, The Indian Materia Medica, Vol.I, pg 582-584
- The Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia Of India, Part I, Vol.I, pg 127